Sunday, August 16, 2009

You Don't Have to Grow Old

Yesterday I was driving in my car, listening to music blasting through my speakers when suddenly I saw a magnificent event happening on the sidewalk next to me.

They were both probably in their 80's (but looked like 90's), and they were walking together holding hands. They both had a slight smile on their faces when the man leaned his body towards the woman, pushing her with his elbow. After he shoved her, the woman's smile broadened and she pushed him back. They then put their arms around each other with huge smiles on their faces and kept walking very slowly and difficultly down the sidewalk.

What happened here? Well I'll tell you, it is extraordinary! In this day of age, so many people lose the zest that was previously in their relationship. After being married for many years and especially after having kids, the loving affection that had first bound the two together has somehow vanished, and for what reason? I'm sure the 80-year-olds that I saw had been together for many years, but they still got to enjoy the magical feeling of love all the time. How can you grow old when you still act so young? Somehow, growing old doesn't seem to be such a big deal anymore because you know that you are not going to allow the effects of getting older to effect you; you are going to act young and in love.

I am 18 years old, turning 19 in a few months and have really no idea how it is to be in love with someone for years. However, I know that when I get older, I am not going to let that magic die out. Even though I have never experienced it, I innately know that I want that, and am going to do everything I can to make sure that happens once I start that point of my life.

So if you have some built up resentment or something towards your partner, see if you can let it go and forgive them. If you still have a relationship together, and you know that your partner cares about you, try to bring back the magic again. You never have to let it die.

Live!

Sean Golden

0 comments: